policy in motion reassembling carbon pricing policy University of Oxford
In this Master's project, I retraced the development of British Columbia's carbon tax from inception to implementation. Six policy stages emerged, from the introduction of the tax shift concept in 1998 to the implementation of a carbon tax in 2008. Research highlights and policy timeline below.
Former Premier, Campbell, and former Governor,
Schwarzenegger. Photo: Vancouver Sun. 2007.
• Public education and policy discussions in the 1990s created a foundation for a policy process in the 2000s
• Modelling the carbon tax on an existing gas tax model accelerated the policy process and eased administration
• Timing of policy implementation risks coinciding with gas price spikes
• Expend effort on public communication in addition to tax design
• Public preference shifted from a revenue-neutral to a revenue-generating model